It’s no secret that feminists are often trolled on the internet. If someone discusses women’s issues, there will be an unhappy person in the comments section equipped with insults and bigotry. There are entire blogs dedicated to disliking those who speak up for gender equality, and I just always think, don’t you have anything better to do? We each have the capacity to add something good to this world, whether it’s advanced technology or a silly drawing. A voice is special, it’s a gift, it should be used well.
Not everything I post or say or share is sunshine and rainbows, but come on people. Who has time to put so much energy into being negative?! Anywayz, I wanted to make this post because I’ve seen people post comments on other sites that basically suggest they think women’s issues aren’t real or that they basically shouldn’t be talked about, or they just say mean things to vloggers or bloggers who usually want to make the world better.
I’m not the first person to make a list like this, and I certainly won’t be the last. It’s not original, but talking about these things still matters. Here’s why I need feminism:
- Because every time I walk down the street I have to be aware of the fact that my gender alone makes me vulnerable to potentially dangerous people.
- Because several of my female friends in college carried protective items around campus, such as a self-defense flashlight or rape whistle. And those were considered normal, if not necessary precautions to take.
- Because victims of rape are still asked what they were wearing
- Because many women dislike being catcalled, feel uncomfortable and even unsafe because of it, and that dislike is pretty much always ignored
- Because women in other parts of the world, who I may never meet, are not safe in their own homes, communities, or countries.
- Because sexism still exists in STEM fields, and there are still people who say discouraging things to girls who are interested in science and tech
- Because trans women are given a hard time for wanting to use the restroom (seriously, can we move past this already?)
- Because trans women of color experience high rates of discrimination, violence and murder.
- Because television and magazines are filled with ads that sexualize the female body in order to sell anything from perfume to candy.
- Because if I ever have a son, and if he wants to play with dolls, I’m going to let him. And I’m going to be judged for it.
- Because women who don’t want to marry or have children are judged for it.
- Because having a vagina puts a variety of social pressures on me, from wearing “girly” clothes, to shaving my legs, to being told to smile, to a variety of things that have nothing to do with having a vagina.
The list goes on. People are often criticized for being vocal about women’s issues. But I also think that if you’re being criticized, especially when it is accompanied by ignorance and bigotry, you are probably doing something right.
There’s a lot of negativity out there. I hope you add something good to the world today. Because you have gifts to share with others, and you matter.